When a person undergoes a 40 day fast, it may expose the health of such an…
Intermittent fasting means when you take a break from eating for long periods of time or time-restricted eating. It means you are limiting your calorie intake for several hours. The best reason for intermittent fasting is to lose body weight. There are a few types of intermittent fasting especially good for women over 40.
Don’t forget to also check out our 28-Day Keto Over Forty Challenge at the end of the article. Keto and Intermittent Fasting is the perfect combination for a healthy body and fast results. (go to the challenge)
Now back to fasting. These types of fasting are easy and healthy ways to lose weight for those of us over 40 years old.
Intermittent Fasting Types For Women Over 40
Alternate day fasting
Alternate fasting day sounds good, like you go for a whole day without eating and solid foods. Although it is effective for weight loss and healthy heart and overweight adults. It may be beneficial for women to weight loss promotion. It is linked to hunger which can be counterproductive to losing weight.
Consult your doctor before trying this method of intermittent fasting.
The 5:2 diet
It is another form of intermittent fasting, also known as a fast diet. Ironically it does not involve complete fasting. If your normal calorie intake is 2000 calories a week, then you should eat 500 calories on your 2 fasting days. This diet is easy to follow and is flexible. If you are missing it tomorrow, you can go back to our regular routine.
This flexible approach is best for many beginners. It involves an occasional meal skipping process. You do it according to the level of your hunger or time restraints. It is most successful when an individual responds to hunger signs. In this fasting, people eat when they are hungry.
It is the most popular method of intermittent fasting for women over 40. It represents 16 hours of your fasting period while 8 hours of your eating time period. If you are sleeping, you are getting half of your 16 hours of your fasting. Make a schedule and then stick to it. One of the favorite parts of intermittent fasting is when you drink calorie-free beverages such as coffee and tea. Watch your caffeine intake because its high amount can upset your stomach or may give you jitters.
Consult your doctor before trying this method of intermittent fasting when you are over 40.
Benefits of 16/8 intermittent fasting
- Increased weight loss
- Improved blood sugar level
- Enhanced longevity
Drawbacks of 16/8 intermittent fasting
- Short-term negative side effects when you get started like hunger, weakness and fatigue
- It could interfere in female reproductive systems
- May lead to weight gain and digestive problems-development of unhealthy habits.
- Consult with your doctor to avoid negative factors
Tips to maintain intermittent fasting for women over 40
- Staying hydrated: Excessive water drinking and calorie-free drinks such as herbal teas and green teas throughout the day.
- Avoiding obsessing over food: Avoid thinking and distractions on fasting days such as catching up tasks.
- Resting and relaxing: Avoid laboring activities on fasting days. Do light exercise or yoga.
- Making every calorie count: If you are taking calories during fasting periods, select nutrient sense foods rich in protein, fiber and fats. Such as nuts, beans, avocado. May supplement with BCAA.
- Eating high-volume foods: Select fruits and vegetables rich in water content such as grapes and melon.
- Choosing nutrient-dense food after fasting period: Eating foods high in fiber, vitamin and other nutrients to balance blood sugar level and prevention of nutrient deficiencies will help you in intermittent fasting.
Believe it or not, research shows that the Ketogenic diet might be the perfect diet for people over 40. In fact, more and more doctors are recommending it to their patients because…
- It triggers your body to burn fat for fuel, causing those stubborn pounds to practically fall off.
- It reduces that gassy bloated feeling so your tummy stays flatter all day long.
- It can balance your blood sugar and reverse insulin resistance, which means you won’t feel so moody.
- It fights inflammation in the body. (Inflammation is a known contributor to diseases like cancer.)
- For women, it can reset your hormones, dial down hot flashes, and help you to finally get restful sleep.
- Last but not least, the ketogenic diet can restore your libido so you actually feel in the mood to have sex!
- All of these health benefits could be yours when you follow the ketogenic diet.
Check the Keto Over Forty 28-Day Challenge and if this is something for you: click here